5 Things to Have Checked During your HVAC Spring Maintenance Evaluation
With the warmer temperatures of spring promising the blazing hot days of summer, the time has come to get a spring maintenance evaluation performed on your air conditioner. There are a number of things that need to be checked in order to ensure your AC operates properly during the spring and summer months. To keep it running smoothly, here are five things we recommend checking during an HVAC evaluation:
- Belts: The belt that connects the blower to the motor can wear out, crack, and break, making the whole unit useless. Checking on this ensures the unit will be able to circulate air throughout the summer months.
- Condensate pan and drain: As your AC runs, moisture will form on the refrigeration coils. This moisture needs a place to go, which is the purpose for the condensate pan and the drain. These should both be clean and free of any dirt, debris, or organic growths. If they are not kept clear, it can lead to leaks and the circulation of excess moisture around your home.
- Coils: The coils themselves need to be cleaned to improve cooling. Checking these will allow the unit to operate at full efficiency. If there is any damage to the coils, they should be repaired as quickly as possible.
- Refrigerant: Refrigerant needs to be kept at the right levels in order to maintain maximum efficiency. Leaks can result in a hit to your utility bills, not to mention lead to possible damage to the unit. Too much refrigerant can also be a problem that will impact your unit’s efficiency.
- Safeties: The safety components of your AC are vital to preventing it from rendering undue damage to itself if something goes wrong. If there is some risk, the unit should normally be able to automatically shut down to prevent an irreparable breakdown. Checking the safeties ensures that your unit—and you—are kept safe during operation.
It should be noted that while it can be simple to check a few of these on your own, there are some things that only a trained HVAC technician will be able to detect. In addition, issues such as leaks, mechanical wear, and breakages can only be handled reliably by a certified professional.
Climate Tech Air Conditioning and Heating experts provide you with seasonal maintenance checkups for your HVAC systems. We include this with our ClimateCare program, which is designed to keep your heating and cooling systems fully functional year round. To learn more about ClimateCare and our HVAC services, contact us today.